Sunday, January 2, 2011

wednesday - eggplant & chickpea stew, quinoa, sautéed kale

This month's EatingWell magazine has an article about slow cooker meals with follow-up recipes for a second night's dinner, so you get two meals out of one main recipe. Yay! I tried out their eggplant and chickpea stew this week. Eggplant is not my favorite vegetable, but it cooks down so much that I barely noticed it, and I loved the hearty chickpeas. I served the stew over quinoa (but any cooked whole grain would do) and had sautéed kale on the side. I followed the stew recipe pretty closely, but I did all of the prep the night before--I followed the instructions through step 4 with the exception of stirring in the soaked chickpeas. I transferred the vegetable mixture to the refrigerator, and then I soaked the dried chickpeas overnight. In the morning, I drained the chickpeas, stirred them into the vegetable mixture, and transferred the whole thing to the slow cooker. Easy, provided you have a bit of free time the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.