Saturday, December 4, 2010

friday - chicken, snow pea, and broccoli stir-fry with brown rice

I usually make this chicken and snow pea dish from eatingwell.com exactly as written, but I had extra broccoli so I decided to add that last night. Since I was using the broccoli, I also decided to leave the snow peas whole, which was a time-saver (although if you use a food processor to shred the snow peas, it does go really quickly). I used one large chicken breast, which is less chicken than the original recipe calls for, which I think worked well given the extra veggies. For the sauce, I've used cashew butter in the past, but I tried tahini last night. Not a very noticeable difference (I may prefer the cashew butter a tiny bit more), so use whatever is easier to find or less expensive. If you can't find either, natural peanut butter would work. I usually add the chopped cashews at the end, which gives the dish a nice crunchy texture, but I left them out last night (I'm out of cashews--who knew?). I always serve it over brown rice to make it more of an entrée rather than a salad as the original recipe is written.



Chicken, Snow Pea, and Broccoli Stir-Fry

1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
Water
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
2 tablespoons tahini or cashew butter
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups broccoli florets
9 ounces snow peas, trimmed (about 3 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped cashews or peanuts (optional)

Place chicken in a medium skillet or saucepan and add water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Shred into bite-size pieces.

Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and tahini (or cashew butter) in a large bowl until smooth.

Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broccoli and cook, stirring, until bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in snow peas and cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in the shredded chicken and cook until heated through. Transfer to the bowl with the dressing; toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with cashews or peanuts (if using). Serve over brown rice.

Makes 4 servings.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.