Thursday, November 11, 2010

tuesday - pork chops au poivre, brussels sprouts, & sweet potato-turnip mash

This was a tasty, tasty meal. I love this recipe for pork chops au poivre from eatingwell.com. I used thin pork chops that cook in just a couple of minutes, and the dish looks and tastes super fancy but is actually extremely quick and easy. I thought I followed the recipe exactly, but upon re-reading it, I realized I forgot to dredge the pork chops in flour before cooking. Didn't even notice the difference, so if you're looking to save a few extra minutes, I'd say that step is optional. Stay tuned for an almost identical recipe using chicken that I made on Wednesday night.

I also really love this recipe for golden-crusted Brussels sprouts from 101cookbooks.com. It's a really delicious recipe that I'm convinced even people who hate Brussels sprouts will love. I used Asiago cheese, but, as stated in the original recipe post, pretty much any cheese would work. I found Brussels sprouts still on the stalk at the farmers' market, which I love:


Finally, I made a sweet potato-turnip mash from eatingwell.com. I really liked the combination, as the turnips cut the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the sage-butter was a delicious addition. I used a little less sage than the recipe called for, given what was available in my dwindling herb garden, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly.




Pork Chops au Poivre

4 2-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/4 inch thick, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
1/4 cup brandy
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

Season pork chops on both sides with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops, reduce heat to medium, and cook until browned and just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add brandy and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the pork chops with the sauce.

Makes 2 servings.
_____


Golden Brussels Sprouts

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
1 tablespoon water
Salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Asiago are good choices)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts, tossing to coat with oil. Position the sprouts cut side down in the pan. Add water, and cover pan with a tight-fitting lid. Cook until Brussels sprouts are bright green and crisp-tender, about 6 to 8 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Remove lid, increase heat to high, and cook until Brussels sprouts are golden brown on bottom. Toss gently to lightly brown the uncut sides. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese just before serving.

Makes 4 servings.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.