Monday, November 22, 2010

saturday - wheat berry & black bean chili, cornbread muffins

As I've mentioned, my husband doesn't eat beef or any ground meats, so regular meat-based chili is out for us. Luckily there are tons of delicious vegetarian chili recipes out there, especially this recipe from eatingwell.com made with wheat berries and black beans. I followed the recipe exactly, except for using homemade and home-canned ingredients such as a pint jar of black beans that I recently cooked and froze, a pint of chicken stock that I canned a while back, and two pints of canned tomatoes. So the proportions may have been a tiny bit off. It's a tasty recipe and one I use often as a way to use cooked wheat berries--you can freeze extra cooked wheat berries and put them right into the soup still frozen. Very convenient.



For the cornbread, I'm a bit ashamed to say that I used a mix. I have tried and tried to make cornbread from scratch but it always comes out dry, so I finally gave up and use mixes now. Before we moved I loved the Arrowhead Mills cornbread mix, which is mostly whole grain and very delicious, but I can't find it in Portland. So I tried Trader Joe's mix, which was more like a corn cupcake than a muffin--wow, super sweet tasting. Needless to say, Courtney loved them.


I hope all of you have a very happy and safe Thanksgiving. I'll be taking the week off from blogging, but let me know how your big meal turns out! Are you trying out new recipes or sticking with family favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.