Tuesday, October 26, 2010

monday - autumn chicken stew with beet & carrot pancakes

I was really looking forward to this Autumn Chicken Stew from eatingwell.com as a way to enjoy some of the delicious root vegetables currently coming into season. I was a tiny bit disappointed, however, as I found it to be a bit bland. It was easy, though, and certainly wasn't bad--just not particularly memorable.



I also served beet and carrot pancakes, which I've posted about before. I followed the recipe except for using rosemary instead of basil and serving them with beet-rosemary relish and plum chutney instead of sour cream (simply due to what was available and open in my fridge). They're delicious and easy, provided you have a food processor to help with the shredding of the vegetables. I used a chioggia beet and a golden beet, along with orange carrots, which made a gorgeous combination:



Unfortunately, the colors faded into a brownish hue when cooked:



Still tasty, but not as vibrant as I'd hoped. Since I more or less stuck to the original recipe, I won't repost it.


Autumn Chicken Stew

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and apples; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the pot and stir until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.

Makes 6 servings.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.