Thursday, September 30, 2010

wednesday - cauliflower and sweet potato curry with brown rice

Finally, a very successful entrée cooked in my pressure cooker! It's been a great tool for cooking whole grains and beans with lightning-fast speed, but, as you may remember, I've struggled a little bit with some of the entrées I've made (well, with meat-based entrées anyway--veggie dishes have been fine). Last night I made a delicious vegetable curry with cauliflower, sweet potatoes, green beans, onions, and garbanzo beans based on a recipe from Lorna Sass's cookbook, Pressure Perfect. The flavorful sauce was made up of coconut milk, curry paste, and yogurt, and the dish was garnished with cashews and cilantro (although basil would have been nice also). I had an open jar of mango chutney in the refrigerator (otherwise I would have used plum chutney), so I stirred that into plain yogurt for a quick topping for the curry. If you'd like to keep the meal vegan, skip this step. I made extra brown rice on Tuesday night to serve with the curry, and the whole meal was ready in under 30 minutes.



If you have a pressure cooker, I really encourage you to check out Lorna Sass's cookbooks--she's definitely an expert on pressure cooking and has great tips and recipes. If you don't have a pressure cooker, I found this similar sweet potato curry recipe at food.com--you could add cauliflower and green beans to make it a bit heartier and more similar to the curry I made last night. Overall, this was a delicious, fast vegetarian meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.