Friday, September 17, 2010

thursday - citrus shrimp with barley, corn, & arugula salad

You may have noticed that shrimp made the meal plan twice this week. Normally I try not to have duplicate proteins in a week, but I recently came across a huge sale on 5-pound bags of frozen wild-caught U.S. shrimp (a "good alternative" according to Seafood Watch) that I couldn't pass up. So there's lots of shrimp in my freezer that I'm working my way through. Last night, I made this sizzled citrus shrimp recipe from eatingwell.com. I followed the recipe exactly, and it turned out really well and was quick and easy to prepare.

On the side, I made a spin on this barley, corn, and arugula salad from epicurious.com. I left out the green beans, but otherwise stayed fairly close to the original recipe. I really enjoyed the mix of the tangy goat cheese, sweet corn, and bitter arugula, and it was hearty enough to be served on its own as a light meal.



Barley, Corn, & Arugula Salad

1/3 cup pearl barley
1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 large ear)
2 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)

Cook barley in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; cool. Transfer to large bowl. Add corn kernels and arugula to bowl and toss to combine.

Whisk olive oil, vinegar, shallots, thyme, and Dijon mustard in small bowl to blend. Pour dressing over barley mixture to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with goat cheese.

Makes 4 servings.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.