Tuesday, September 21, 2010

breakfast (!) - whole wheat english muffin with poached eggs, sautéed beet greens, and roasted red peppers

I didn't eat dinner at home last night, so I decided to write a post about breakfast rather than skipping today altogether. I have a few breakfast meals in my usual rotation--whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and homemade jam, whole wheat English muffin with two poached eggs, oatmeal with walnuts and cinnamon--which I pair with fruit and plain yogurt or a smoothie. This morning I went the toasted English muffin and eggs route, but I had beet greens in the fridge that need to be cooked so I decided to add those to the mix. I often add sautéed veggies to my eggs on the weekends, but I realized today that it really didn't take any extra time since I prepared the vegetables while the eggs were poaching. Easy! And a delicious, healthy start to the day.


I also had a nectarine (still available at the farmers' market, though I suspect not for much longer) with a dollop of nonfat plain Greek yogurt.


Sautéed Beet Greens and Roasted Red Peppers

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup beet greens or spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons basil leaves, thinly sliced

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beet greens (or spinach) and peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until greens are wilted and tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle basil over vegetable mixture. Serve over eggs, as an omelet filling, or as a side dish.

Makes 1 serving.
_____

1 comment:

  1. For instructions on how to poach eggs, go here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Poached-Eggs-236720

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.