Wednesday, August 25, 2010

tuesday - lamb chops, tzatziki, quinoa with pesto, and salad

Last night I used Ellie Krieger's cookbook, The Food You Crave, to make grilled lamb chops and tzatziki. I followed both recipes exactly and they both turned out really well--this was a delicious meal. Fortunately, both recipes are available at foodnetwork.com. I used 2 bone-in lamb loin chops, about 4 ounces each, and marinated them in lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. This was my first time cooking lamb, and 4 to 5 minutes per side on the grill was the perfect amount of time for medium-rare. I had an abundance of plain yogurt in the refrigerator, so I decided to make tzatziki to top the lamb and to use as a veggie dip later in the week--this recipe was deliciously tangy and cool, perfect for summer. On the side I prepared quinoa (3/4 cup dry, which ended up making quite a bit so it will definitely show up again this week) and stirred in 1/4 cup of garlic scape pesto that had been in my freezer from a few weeks ago. Basil pesto (homemade or store bought) would be a great substitute if you don't have garlic scapes lying around. I also added about 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to brighten up the flavor a bit.



I had about a tablespoon of extra pesto, so I whisked it with 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar for a salad dressing, which I tossed with arugula, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and grated carrots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.