Thursday, August 12, 2010

thursday - chicken in peanut sauce, cucumber salad, and beet greens with brown rice

Well. This meal was not my best showing. I cooked chicken in another foil packet in the pressure cooker--this was half of a chicken breast (about 3 ounces) in a peanut sauce made up of peanut butter, hoisin, rice vinegar, and chili garlic sauce, also from Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass. I prepared this packet and froze it on Monday when I prepared the first foil packet of chicken. I cooked last night's chicken for 11 minutes (from frozen) under 15 pounds of pressure, and it was slightly undercooked so I steamed it for an additional 2 minutes. It came out juicy and not overcooked, which was an improvement from Monday, but the peanut sauce got a bit gelatinous either during the freezing or steaming process. It tasted good, but the texture was off. I served it with a cucumber salad from eatingwell.com. I make this salad frequently because it is so light and flavorful--I follow the recipe exactly and it has the perfect amount of sweet and sour flavors. For the other rather unfortunate side dish, I sautéed beet greens with garlic and roasted red peppers, then stirred in cooked brown rice, ricotta cheese, basil, and lemon zest. Oh no. This turned into a bland, mushy mess--I could post the recipe, but really, why waste my time or yours? This was a disappointing dish and is exactly why I generally use recipes--even if I don't follow them exactly, I at least benefit from having them as a guide when constructing my meals.

Chicken in peanut sauce (note the weird texture of the sauce):



and the full meal (at least I had plenty of cucumber salad!):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.