Monday, August 9, 2010

sunday - summer squash and black bean sauté with zucchini salsa verde and brown rice

I had leftover zucchini salsa verde in my freezer from a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to stir it into sautéed summer squash and black beans. I also had leftover grilled sweet onions and green onions from Friday night's dinner, so I stirred those in, but you could just sauté the onions along with the squash rather than grilling them. I cooked the rice in my pressure cooker--what usually takes 40 minutes took only 15! Very exciting. I made everything up as I went along except the salsa, and the whole dish took 20 minutes to prepare. If you don't feel like making the zucchini salsa (you should though--it's really delicious), you could use store-bought salsa verde instead.



Summer Squash and Black Bean Sauté with Zucchini Salsa Verde and Brown Rice

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 patty pan squash or other summer squash, diced
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 cup zucchini salsa verde
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Cilantro, for garnish (optional)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté squash and onion until beginning to brown and soften, about 7 minutes. Cover skillet and continue cooking until squash is very soft, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Add green onions, beans, rice, and salsa, and stir until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.
_____

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.