Wednesday, July 7, 2010

monday - grilled chicken and vegetables with mango-sesame dressing

Monday evening we had company over for dinner, so I made this super-easy meal from Bon Appetit magazine. It made a ton of food, so we've had plenty of leftovers this week. It starts with this recipe for mango-sesame dressing, which I followed exactly. The recipe calls for Major Grey's mango chutney, which is a sweet British-style chutney. I used Trader Joe's mango chutney which doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup and is slightly spicy. The dressing can be made in advance, and the whole meal was great for feeding a crowd as it was really easy, quick, and delicious. I also followed the grilled chicken and vegetables recipe exactly. I'd never had grilled radishes before, and they took on a milder flavor that was fantastic.

Colorful vegetables on the grill:



Finished veggies:



Grilled chicken:



I also made cilantro rice from this recipe on epicurious.com. I mostly stuck to the recipe, but I used brown rice instead of white rice and water instead of chicken broth. Also, I had a big piece of ginger in the freezer (to prevent it from going bad before I could use all of it)--this works well for grating the ginger, but it was too hard to slice the frozen root into coins, so I omitted that step.



Cilantro Rice

1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1 1/3 cups chopped fresh cilantro
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 teaspoon (or more) rice vinegar

Combine rice and water in large saucepan; sprinkle with salt. Bring to boil, stirring often. Cover; reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, combine chopped cilantro, green onion, and ginger in food processor. Add both oils and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Blend until almost smooth. Season cilantro oil to taste with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.

Transfer rice to bowl. Mix in cilantro oil and serve.
_____

Ready to eat!

2 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the deliciousness of this meal. Yum. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.