Saturday, July 10, 2010

friday - sirloin/salmon, potatoes, & chimichurri

I originally had warm red cabbage slaw on my meal plan for last night, but Portland is in the midst of a heat wave and my nearly 100-year-old house doesn't have A/C. It's been manageable, but I spent the day making beet & rosemary relish (from Ashley English's Canning & Preserving--delicious!), and I was overheated and lazy by the time dinner rolled around. The cabbage remains in good shape, so it will hang out for a little while longer. I did have about a cup of grape tomatoes left over from the polenta earlier this week, so I halved them and tossed with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, and crumbled goat cheese for a quick salad, plus I opened a jar of pickled beets that I canned last month. Altogether, dinner was ready in under twenty minutes. For the sirloin and salmon, I rubbed both with olive oil, salt, and pepper and threw them on the grill--about 2 minutes per side for the thin-cut sirloin, 4 to 5 minutes per side for the salmon. I sliced a few Yukon Gold potatoes, parboiled them, and then put them on the grill for a few minutes to get them nice and crisp. Also, I thawed the remaining chimichurri that I had stashed in the freezer last week and drizzled it on the steak, fish, and potatoes. Simple and tasty!

Grilled Potatoes

3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Put the sliced potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until just tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain well, then toss potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crisp.
_____

Dinner in a flash:



I'm a bit beet-crazy these days. Here are the pickled beets:



And the beet & rosemary relish, cooling on the counter:



I also had beet-infused tequila last night with rosemary syrup and lime juice--basically the cocktail version of my relish! Imagine my delight. Unfortunately, no photos of the cocktail, but I am considering making my own tequila-beet infusion at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.