Monday, June 28, 2010

sirloin & salmon with chimichurri

Ok, so I don't always prepare meals in the exact order listed on my meal plan. Tonight I decided to make sirloin & salmon with chimichurri sauce, which is listed as Tuesday's dinner. I'm flexible that way. My husband doesn't eat beef, so I rarely cook it at home, but every once in a while I'll pick up some flank steak or sirloin (both very lean) if I'm craving it or if it's on sale. This week, it was on sale! I purchased thin-cut sirloin strips (2-3 ounce portions), which I individually wrapped & froze for future dinners. I try to limit my beef intake to once or twice a month; I would love to buy local, grass-fed beef, but unfortunately it just isn't in our budget right now. So, I try not to eat much meat in general. I had two of the smaller strips tonight, about 4 ounces total. I purchased frozen wild salmon in individual 6 ounce portions.

Super-easy dinner tonight--rubbed the sirloin & salmon with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, then grilled them over medium-high heat. The sirloin portions cooked quickly--1 to 2 minutes per side, and the salmon cooked for 3 to 4 minutes per side.




We topped both with a delicious chimichurri from epicurious.com.



Chimichurri

3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 bay leaf, broken in half

Place all ingredients except bay leaf in food processor & pulse until the mixture forms a chunky sauce. Add bay leaf, and let stand for 30 mintues at room temperature. Discard bay leaf, and stir sauce before serving.


_____

This is a "fast food" meal at our house--quickly grill or broil fish or some other lean protein, cook a whole grain or starchy vegetable, add a vegetable of some sort. Tonight, I roasted the potatoes I bought at the farmers' market. It's so easy it doesn't even really need a recipe: Scrub potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, toss in a baking dish with olive oil, salt, pepper, and about 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (if you have it; if not, skip it). Roast in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once or twice.

I also used the red Russian kale from the farmers' market. Again, super easy.

Quick Kale

1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
Lemon juice, to taste

Wash the kale and remove & discard the tough stems. Coarsely chop the leaves. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and add the kale, stirring to coat. Toss frequently until the leaves begin to wilt. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and stir for a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the kale is soft and wilted. Remove from heat, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.